Thursday, January 03, 2008

January 03, 2008

Participants: Jon, Nadine, Mace, Shachar, Shlomtziah, Yitzchak

First meeting of the year, and only two of the regulars (other than me) showed up. Not very auspicious. In any, Mace and his two kids returned, making it a complement of players.

Havoc

Shlomtziah 30, Nadine, Mace, Jon, Shachar

I thought this would make a friendly opener for five. Shlomtziah wasn't really here to play, so of course she won. She and Shachar has a number of early battles, and she won all of them. Then she won the last battle.

I had a hard time every getting a turn after the first few rounds, as people to my right would call Havoc, and the people to my left would win the battle, skipping me altogether. It's a bit of an annoying mechanic to the game.

Robo Rally

Jon+, Nadine, Mace, Shachar, Yitzchak

We had five again, and decided on this rather chaotic game versus the more sedate Euros such as Princes, Puerto Rico, or El Grande. I laid out two board and two flags, which proved to be about the right length.

We're still not playing with all the correct rules, mixing up turns for phases, and so on, yet it still works out pretty well. This time we also played with the options. Each player started with one, and some additional ones were acquired during the game. Definitely better that way.

Mace was pretty close to winning, but he couldn't draw the right cards. Of course, he was severely damaged which was one of the reasons he couldn't. I managed to sneak in a win.

Jon+, Mace, Nadine, Yitzchak

And unfathomably, Mace wanted to play again. He laid out a course with four flags and I said "uh, no". We only had time for a single flag game on a a single board. Turns out I was right, and even that took an hour.

The same thing happened again. Mace was this close to winning, but I came up behind him and shot him with an option that also pushed him one space, and he fell into a pit. In another few turns, I was then able to rush to the flag before anyone else could push me away.

No comments: